Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Re: Scar Tissue

Why is it we so often settle for scar tissue instead of healing? I’m not speaking of physical wounds or abrasions here, I’m speaking of emotional and spiritual wounds that, at least in my own self reflection, I’d much rather be buried under dead tissue than healed properly. It’s easier learning to live with a scar than accept the thorough work of healing. The lies we have heard throughout our lives… why do we not let them die for real? Why is it after we are wounded we choose to let that tough, lifeless skin cover the gap and create scars instead of allowing God to truly heal again?

I think it’s because we know the risk of healed, living tissue being broken again and we’re afraid to risk that pain. We’d much rather have the scar to remind us how tender that area of our lives is and thus keep us from being hurt once more. The problem is, scars aren’t intended. You know? Healing is… I find it hard to believe that a God known as the great physician, capable of healing and redeeming any wound and situation would find His perfect remedy for wounds covering them with deadness. Moreover, the issue at hand is that for those of us who indeed have scars, who have dead skin covering a past pain. What does healing imply for us?

That area in our lives must be made vulnerable again.

That’s no fun… it really isn’t, yet so much of our redemption and our reconciliation, of our healing and our FREEDOM must come through allowing His HEALING to take place even in the old pains. That scar tissue must be removed and He must be allowed to heal and regenerate life in that area of our lives. Vulnerability sucks… it really does. I’m not good at it. In fact, much of my life can be characterized by protective measures taken to not be hurt again as I’m sure most of yours can as well. Vulnerability is our release of the right to control. It’s our letting go of the right to protect what is no longer ours. Part of the pain is in addressing our wounders… for some of us that instigator of pain is ourselves, others it is past friends, current parents, etc. I’m not speaking of going to them and showing them the wound; I am speaking of exposing our scars to our Lord and allowing Him to remove the deadness that keeps us in the same place (death does not grow, it is static- life however, is changing and progressive) and bring about new life in that place, of forgiving them and learning the truth of redemption, and of letting our rights go and trust Him to heal.

For many of us our wounds are at the core of our hearts. Whose job is it to guard this very important part of our being? I’m not speaking of the muscle- you know that. I’m speaking of the place we store treasures, dream dreams, hope for the impossible, keep faith, and truly love. We tritely declare, "Lord, you have my heart," and in our weakness and fear take it back over and over again. Many pains and scars are there and we are not walking in true life with them present. Our love cannot grow, our dreams cannot be longed for, etc. It is the Lord’s desire to guard our heart. It is our fear and unbelief that won’t allow Him. Many scars in my life reside in my heart, and now in this time of life I find Him wanting more and more to HEAL rather than just let me cope with old scars. Even yesterday something NEW came up and took me completely off guard... what then? When we're confronted with a scar and we realize we haven't healed as we hoped the truth was- do we yield? Do we SUBMIT? There are things I didn’t even realize were there, and now as He moves, some tissue is being ripped from its place to expose the wound He longs to restore. Will I let Him? Will you let Him for you too? If we truly desire freedom and truly trust His word in our lives, we really must. Though it may be the hardest thing we’ve faced yet.

I believe in a God of true healing… One who does not patch skin and wounds… One who does not glue the severed feelings… One who does not need to cover the pain, but has the power to redeem it and bring about life. One who intends His people love without strings and the reminders of wounds. One whose people are characterized by the celebration of true restoration. One whose people live in a healing altogether foreign and yet desperately desired to/by the lost around them.

He makes all things new.

Can it be this is true even for are scarred hearts? Can it be that this is true even for our hidden hurts? I believe it is. What do you think? What are the scars you long to keep protected? What callous does He intend to remove? Where is the vulnerability we are to learn? Where does the Body of Christ fit in with this healing process? Again, I’m not talking about burying anything, not about letting any deadness or ignorance bring numbness or capabilities to cope- I’m talking about HEALING… RESTORATION… and FREEDOM. I want it. Do you?

.......................
Philippians 4
John 17
Isaiah 61
1 John
John 8
Romans 5-9

No comments: