Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Re: My Desire

"Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"
Matthew 7:22-23 (NIV)

I don't want you to copycat Jesus. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to develop the characteristics of a disciple of Jesus. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to do what Jesus did. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to become a moral superstar. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to echo the words Jesus said. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to practice what Jesus preached. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to wear what Jesus wore. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to perform miracles like Jesus. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to develop the marks of a follower of Jesus. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to watch Jesus.
I don't want you to be able to pass an "Orthodox Theology" exam. I want you to know Him.
I don't want you to go to church.
I don't even want you to become more like Jesus... not without knowing Him.

Nothing matters except that you know Him. I don't care that you can answer the right questions or say the right words or do the right thing just like all the famous Jesus people did... It doesn't matter if you don't know Him. It doesn't matter that you can repeat the same words to the demons. It doesn't matter that you walk and talk like a Disciple of Christ if you don't know the Christ the disciples did. It doesn't matter that you read the right amount or sing the loudest and with the most passion... It matters that you know Him. You can have all the characteristics of one of His followers... Good job. I just want you to know Him.

No comments: