Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Generation's Path

So my discipler, Twan, has recently discovered this band called "Wild Sweet Orange," and even though I'm typically not a fan of indie/new era rock they've certainly captured my ear. The questions asked in each song remind me of the ones coming from the mouths of each of my friends and thus and macrocosmically my whole generation. As I listen to them, I hear nothing more than the demand for hope and answers... to see for real what they've been told to believe, and I think this video illustrates that very well.



Any more it seems like my generation believes that they are on their own in regards to learning what it means to follow Christ. I say that because the generation before us has simply NOT done so. The telltale attributes of the world were present in many of my generations homes as we grew up (divorce rates, obsession with possession, abuse both of substance and of relationships), from this I see a belief forming that expects, "Walk out your faith yourself, kid, don't expect me to hold your hand and show you how." Is this true? Do any of you see that in our culture or in our churches? Do we expect the next generation to teach themselves to fly and thus force them to jump off cliffs in an attempt to reach the sky? Do we allow the enemy to laugh and point at the "baby Christian who can't fly?" Do we allow the enemy to trick our newborns into believing they're not flightworthy creatures- as if they're something created to stay on the ground (as he has been cursed to!). We shouldn't, this is the very reason discipleship is so valuable and necessary. When transformation happens in your life, it is necessary to take and see transformation occur in others' lives. My generation, those who haven't grown up in the church anyway, is about to give up. They've searched for God in everything and found out everything He's not. The last words of this song reveal this:
"If you want me,

Please come and find me.


Cause I'll be running,


You know I'll be running."

We are coming! The army that God is raising will not be one that allows cliff-jumping as an option in learning to fly. They will walk with each one, seeing the Holy Spirit develop their wings and showing them the next step, teaching and training in righteousness so that there is no room for laughter from the enemy.

No comments: